I have been struggling to find a quick and easy way, or a perferred format for crediting images that I use in my blog posts. After some searching, I stumbled upon these guidelines from +Creative Commons:
Examples of attribution
Here is a photo. Following it are some examples of how people might attribute it.
This is an ideal attribution
“Creative Commons 10th Birthday Celebration San Francisco” by tvol is licensed under CC BY 2.0
- Title? “Creative Commons 10th Birthday Celebration San Francisco”
- Author? “tvol” – linked to his profile page
- Source? “Creative Commons 10th Birthday Celebration San Francisco” – linked to original Flickr page
- License? “CC BY 2.0” – linked to license deed
This is a pretty good attribution
- Title? Title is not noted (it should be) but at least the source is linked.
- Author? “tvol”
- Source? “Photo” – linked to original Flickr page
- License? “CC BY” – linked to license deed
This is an incorrect attribution
Photo: Creative Commons
- Title? Title is not noted.
- Author? Creative Commons is not the author of this photo.
- Source? No link to original photo.
- License? There is no mention of the license, much less a link to the license. “Creative Commons” is an organization.
Best practices for attribution by Creative Commons is licensed under CC BY 3.0
5 thoughts on “How to properly attribute photos in blog posts.”
I’ve been struggling with how to explain and demonstrate this to students in a blogging class I’m teaching. Your post is the final piece of the puzzle, so thank you for sharing!
I’m so glad you found it helpful!
Just FYI, I reference your post in my new post, Peter: Blogging, Copyright & How to Attribute Images http://budurl.com/2rxr 🙂